The 2016 class of inductees were selected by accomplished gamers, journalists and video game industry executives who have extensive knowledge of the achievements in gaming. There were three phases in the decision process: Open nomination, public and board input for narrowing down of the ballot and a final voting pool which decided which gamers, games, developers and industry leader would be inducted. The Community Action Award and Walter Day Lifetime Achievement Award were determined by open nominations and input from attendees of the Class of 2015 induction with the board selecting the inductees.
On November 11, 2017, Isaiah TriForce Johnson was inducted into the International Video Game Hall of Fame as a member of the IVGHOF Class of 2016. Isaiah TriForce Johnson is an accomplished leader in the global eSports community and industry. He is the Founder and CEO of the eSports team Empire Arcadia. His team was recognized by Guinness World Records as the “Most Documented Tournament Winning” eSports team in the world. He retired from the competitive field as a pro player in 2015 at the Cyberbox eSports League after winning 20 straight tournaments with no losses. His winning streak tallied his team’s 2,000th tournament victory, a fact noted by Guinness World Records. He has over 30 world records on the Twin Galaxies Scoreboard and 8 Guinness World Records in gaming. Despite his accomplishments in the competitive arena, TriForce is most recognized for his efforts in preserving eSports history along with developing platforms for its community and industry’s future. TriForce is one of the few players who has been a champion in both the classic and modern eras of eSports — a career that spans its 35+ year history to date. He uses his influence and resources to help promote the true origins of eSports, such as it’s birthplace in Ottumwa Iowa. TriForce continues his work to connect eSports’ past infrastructure to it’s modern industrial revolution and spreads that history throughout other regions of the world, such as Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa. Triforce has devoted the next chapter of his gaming career to educating the world about eSports’ three-decade-old history and who he claims to be its foudning Father, Walter Day.
- Founder and CEO of the eSports team Empire Arcadia
- World Record of 2,000 Team Victories for the Empire
- He retired as pro player in 2015
- Known to be first in line for new Nintendo Products
- 30 World Records on the Twin Galaxies Scoreboard
- 8 Guinness World Records in gaming
- Continues eSports in other areas such as Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa.
- In 1980, worked at HAL Laboratory as a part-time programmer.
- In 2000, became head of Nintendo’s corporate planning division.
- In 2011, created the Nintendo Online Press conference, Nintendo Direct
- Helped develop Pokémon Gold and Silver
- Assisted in the development of Super Smash Bros for N64
- Headed Nintendo team to create the Nintendo DS.
- Pushed development to create the Nintendo Wii.
- Lifetime Achievement Award at 2015 Golden Joystick Awards and the 2016 DICE Awards